This traditional style of wick holder keeps your flame perched at the top of the lamp at all times.
- Insert the wick through the tube, leaving about 1/4 inch (5mm) of wick sticking up.
- Bend the wick holder into an "M" shape that fits your votive glass, so the holder does not slide around and the wick stays centered in the votive, about 1/2 inch (1cm) below the lip of the votive.
- Fill your votive with any vegetable oil (olive oil is traditional and works best) until it just touches the flat middle of the wick holder.
- When the wick has drawn the oil up to the top, it may be lit.
- A "head" will form at the top of the wick as it burns, especially for an extended time. Trim this head off before lighting your lamp, or else it may pop and spray tiny pieces of soot everywhere. After trimming, adjust the wick so 1/4 inch (5mm) is visible, and then light it.
- If the lit portion of the wick is too long, it will cause smoke and soot. A short wick and a small, gentle flame will burn cleanly.
- Refill the oil as needed. The lamp will not burn well, if the bottom of the tube is no longer submerged in the oil. (Think of it as a straw, helping to guide the oil up to the flame.)
- A straightened paper clip is useful for pushing the wick through the tube, as well as breaking the soot "head" off the wick.
- Do not burn lamps unattended. Children should not use fire unattended.
- Keep flammable items away from the lamp, especially above it.
- Extinguish the flame before removing the wick holder or adjusting the wick.
We can ship to virtually any address in the world. Note that there are restrictions on some products, and some products cannot be shipped to international destinations.
When you place an order, we will estimate shipping and delivery dates for you based on the availability of your items and the shipping options you choose. Depending on the shipping provider you choose, shipping date estimates may appear on the shipping quotes page.
Please note that our icons and some other items are hand-crafted and made-to-order. Allow time for production. Please visit our Shipping FAQ page for more information.
We allow returns for many of our items, but restrictions apply. Please visit our Return Policy page for more information.